Re: Information on Directorates and Finances

2003-02-25 21:34:16
Folks,

From the financials:
HTA> The terminal room cost is $0 in 2001 because all 3 IETF meetings
HTA> were hosted. In 2003, we expect to have at least one, and possibly
HTA> two, non-host meetings, which means that terminal room costs will
HTA> come out of the secretariat's budget.

Perhaps it is again time to suggest forming a standing "terminal access"
committee, to help ensure timely, reliable, performant net access, etc.?

Although we seem to have been spared visible disasters in the last few
years, delivery of these services has periodically still been a very
close call, requiring emergency and herculean intervention of some
senior talent.

The technical and operations requirements for these events are actually
a bit unusual, especially since the physical aspects of the venue affect
wireless so much.  Therefore each new team has had a learning curve for
the process.

So why not recruit the talent ahead of time, use it for planning and
setup, working at a more deliberate pace, deliverying on experience with
our needs, and avoiding the crises and risk?

d/
--
 Dave Crocker <mailto:dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com>