Re: IAB policy on anti-spam mechanisms?

2003-02-28 07:47:14
At 12:55 AM 2/27/2003 -0500, Theodore Ts'o wrote:

Yup, some 802.11 wireless "hotspot" networks block port 25 as well.
Very annoying.  My personal workaround to this is to have a personal
server tucked away at a colo facility, which among other things, runs
a SMTP server listening on port 2025 (to get around the port 25
blocking insanity).  This SMTP server will relay e-mail on my behalf,
no matter when I am in the Internet, after my laptop uses STARTTLS and
AUTH to authenticate myself to my SMTP server.

May I add running this through SSH? That is what I do. All my outgoing SMTP and incoming POP is through SSH to my home server, protecting me from such nefarious operations.

I even found one 802.11 hotspot (WISPer), that did not have the SSH port blocked and I could have done all my work without paying (did anyway, as I want to encourage hotspot deployments).