Acronyms Et Al. (was: Last Call: Instructions to Request for Comments (RFC) Authors to BCP)

2003-03-06 10:10:27
kireeti(_at_)juniper(_dot_)net wrote:

Finally, last para of sectin 4.5, "Mnemonics appearing in the Abstract"
and 'meaning of the mnemonics "IP" or "TCP" or "MIB"' -- you mean
acronym, not mnemonic.

Gibson, Mark replied:

Um, you mean abbreviation, not acronym. No such English word as ip, tcp of mib as far as I know :)

Definitions of these terms vary. The American Heritage dictionary (http://www.bartleby.com/61/) uses them the way I do: if it's pronounced as a word, it's an acronym, but if it's pronounced as letters, it's an *initialism* (which doesn't even appear in the Cambridge dictionary). I have heard MIB done both ways, and even SNMP (with an implied "i" in the middle).

At first, this may seem to be a US/UK difference, but Merriam-Webster (http://www.m-w.com/) says an acronym is "a word (as NATO, radar, or snafu) formed from the initial letter or letters of each of the successive parts or major parts of a compound term". However, they say an initialism is a *type of* acronym, one formed from initial letters of words. SAT (Scholastic Aptitude Test) is one, but not PCB (polychlorinated biphenyl), since the C does not start its word. Note that neither of them is pronounced as a word! Their "Word for the Wise" script from April 11, 2001 (http://www.m-w.com/wftw/01apr/041101.htm) uses these examples, and was a response to someone apparently using the AH definitions. It does not have separate terms for acronyms *pronounced* as a word or as letters.

Mike Bartman says an acronym is "A Capitalized Representation Of Names You Memorize". B-)

All three dictionaries agree, however, that a mnemonic is something to help you remember something, such as "Roy G. Biv" for the colors of the rainbow, or "Badly Burnt Resistors On Ground Bus Void General Warranty" for resistor colors. At least Kireeti is correct in that regard.

Anybody got an OED? Perhaps we need an Informational RFC on this important issue! B-)

--
David J. Aronson, Software Engineer for hire in Washington DC area.
See http://destined.to/program/ for online resume, references, etc.