Re: Acronyms Et Al. (was: Last Call: Instructions to Request for Comments (RFC) Authors to BCP)

2003-03-11 12:06:47
Tomson Eric (Yahoo.fr) wrote:

- an acronym is a word composed of initials ; e.g.: ASAP, LASER, NATO,
OSI, RADAR, SCUBA, are well-known acronyms. They sound like words, while
they are actually groups of initials.

- initials are the first letters of words ; e.g.: IETF, CIA, FBI, IBM,
RFC, TCP, are well-known initials, too complex to be used as acronyms.
I never heard this distinction before today. It seems like a pretty strange hair to split in a written forum like the IETF. It boils down to how hard a series of letters is to pronounce in English; but most of our communication doesn't get pronounced.

--
|John Stracke      |jstracke(_at_)centive(_dot_)com                   |