Re: [Asrg] SHEESH!

2003-03-11 12:06:42
Vernon Schryver wrote:
From: "Chris Lewis" <clewis(_at_)nortelnetworks(_dot_)com>

I guess I shouldn't have used the V-word when talking about spam on
the IRTF's mailing list about spam.

sheesh!--talk about utterly lame and misguided spam filters.

But in the case of the V word, it works. ...

I wonder if you'd say that if your employer were in the drug industry.

Of course not.  So?  I'd simply not deploy such a filter.

Until the IETF has WGs on pharmaceuticals, I don't think we need to worry about the IETF's filtering in this regard.

IETF mailing lists are particularly prone to high volumes of spam. I for one am particularly glad that they're moving to filters. Takes a _huge_ load of end-user complaints off _my_ head, as well as those of my colleagues running IETF mailing lists of their own.

There are other things the IETF lists should do instead.  To start,
they should rejectm mail with MIME content headers declaring mail is
not English, and specifically reject JP, KR, and GB character sets.

The IETF has no foreign language special interest groups? Like on character sets and internationalization? It would be as dumb as a pharmaceutical company banning the V word.

They should probably also reject any MIME multipart mail,

That would annoy the Mime, multimedia and other specialized WGs would it not?

I think they should also use the DCC to reject all bulk mail, but
that's probably only my bias speaking.

That's a _much_ better idea than banning specific character sets or mime.