Re: A charter for the IESG

2003-03-09 10:06:01
On 3/8/03 at 5:22 PM -0500, Margaret Wasserman wrote:

I think that there could be considerable value in publishing a document
that explains what the IESG believes its charter to be (#1 above).  Among
other things, this could serve as a useful baseline for any changes that
the community decides to make as a result of the problem-statement effort.
But, I would prefer to see such a document published as an Info RFC, with
wording that would discourage misinterpretation of the document as a
community mandate.

I agree wholeheartedly with Margaret, with regard to both the value of such a document and the form it should take. I believe it would be incredibly useful to the problem-statement group, especially since it has been said that some of the items in the problem-statement draft do not reflect the reality of how the IESG operates. It would be good to actually see how the IESG views its operations. I also think that an Informational RFC is exactly what is called for; a BCP would require IETF consensus and would inappropriately compete with the problem-statement work.

pr
--
Pete Resnick <mailto:presnick(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com>
QUALCOMM Incorporated - Direct phone: (858)651-4478, Fax: (858)651-1102