Re: Last Call: Instructions to Request for Comments (RFC) Authors to BCP

2003-03-16 09:41:31
On Sun, 16 Mar 2003, Pekka Savola wrote:
   2.10 IANA Considerations
   [ ... ]
==> so, IANA considerations is not needed if you're just requesting a few
values from existing namespaces?  It would seem to make sense to have a
section anyway (at least in the I-D's if not necessarily RFC's).  In some
namespaces, there are some subsets of a namespace (example: different option
values in IPv6 hop-by-hop/destination options header), so specifying the
requested values somewhere might be useful.
==> same in 4.11

I believe that <draft-rfc-editor-rfc2223bis-04.txt> is just
reiterating what is required by RFC 2434.  The current policy
for I-Ds is, however, much as you suggest;  see
http://www.ietf.org/ID-nits.html and specifically this part:

     * IANA considerations

     * Required if IANA has to create a new registry or modify rules for
       an existing registry.
     * Required if the document requires IANA to assign or update values
       in an IANA registry before RFC publication. Note that for the
       assignment of just an OID for a MIB or PIB Module, no IANA
       Considerations section is required; it is sufficient to request
       such via a MIB/SMI or PIB/SPPI comment line,
       aka: ::= { mib-2 xxx } -- xxx to be assigned by IANA
     * See RFC 2434, and also RFC 2780 in some cases.

If this policy is to be captured in the "Instructions to Request for
Comments (RFC) Authors" document [do we really need to have _that_
acronym expanded? :) ] it should be noted that the wording that goes
in the RFC should not discuss a request for an assignment (as an I-D
usually does) but an should instead discuss the actual assignment.  This
has been done in recently-published RFCs, but inappropriate language has
slipped through in the past (see RFC 2493 for an example).

//cmh