Re: charging for IETF participation

2003-03-20 12:15:25
This isn't fun anymore.. I can't tell whether you're serious or not :-(

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003, Dave Crocker wrote:
[...]
This suggests that it would entirely reasonable to consider
introducing cost-recovery charging for participation in some or all of
the IETF's other activities.

I said "consider". That means that the idea, itself, does not violate
IETF precepts. Of course, particular choices need to be balanced
carefully, against other IETF precepts. We don't not want the solution
to our financial problems to destroy our productivity or quality.

My own feeling is that we must not charge for RFC publication.  The
quantity is pretty small, and the bulk of the RFCs represent IETF work
product.

On the other hand, I-Ds and IETF mailing lists have large volume and
not much filtering prior to issuance. This means that it is likely to
be fair and productive to push the direct costs onto the individual
contributors.

Choosing to charge for things like I-D authorship or mailing list
posting (or subscription) carries some practical challenges. In
particular how do we charge efficiently and authentically? So this
makes the considerations even more delicate.

I suspect we can find a reasonable set of mechanisms and prices.

d/
--
 Dave Crocker <mailto:dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com>