Re: charging for IETF participation

2003-03-20 13:46:20
Dave Crocker wrote:

Choosing to charge for things like I-D authorship or mailing list
posting (or subscription) carries some practical challenges.

If we charged for subscription, we'd have to make sure that the archives became available for free eventually; otherwise we're a lot less open to peer review. Even with that, charging for subscription sounds like a nightmare; we'd have people missing important messages because their credit cards expired at just the wrong time.

Charging for posting will reduce feedback from outside the WG. Besides, it sounds a lot like solving the spam problem. ;-)

|John Stracke      |jstracke(_at_)centive(_dot_)com                          |
|Principal Engineer|http://www.centive.com                        |
|Centive           |My opinions are my own.                       |
|"We can't duplicate the bug." "Have you tried the Xerox machine?"|