RE: Fw: Welcome to the InterNAT...

2003-03-26 15:29:45
At 10:14 PM 3/26/2003 +0100, Jeroen Massar wrote:
Seeing that route filtering only gets done automaticaly for
the last couple of years and the fact that that is only a
route + ASN mapping I don't see why all of a sudden there
will be some magical solution for renumbering complete networks.

Really? I started to design such a procedure, and it's not terrifically hard if you set your sights correctly. The key concepts are:

 - IPv6 makes it easy to have multiple prefixes and addresses per interface
 - anything you have advertised in DNS etc has a lifetime, which you need to
   honor
- the existing so-called renumber scheme mostly says how to make a new address
   come into existence

So if you want to renumber from prefix A to prefix B, you have to:
 -1- start with all routers and hosts using prefix A
 -2- reconfigure all router interfaces to support both prefixes A and B,
     and preferring prefix A
-3- as a side effect, you will also be starting to route for prefixes A and B.
 -4- as a side effect, hosts will develop addresses in both prefixes
 -5- Update DNS etc databases with prefix B addresses (presumably a
     side-effect of step 4)
 -6- at this point, there will be no new sessions opening using prefix A
     as destination addresses. Prefix A will be in use in source addresses.
 -7- reconfigure all router interfaces to support both prefixes A and B,
     and preferring prefix B
 -8- wait for all advertisements of prefix A addresses (DNS etc) to expire
 -9- at this point, there will be no new sessions opening using prefix A
     as destination addresses. Prefix A will be in use in source addresses
     in sessions that started before step 6. Continue waiting until they
     are no more (may be already complete, may take a month, YMMV)
 10- when said sessions have all expired, prefix A is routed and usable but
     is no longer in active use.
 10- reconfigure all routers to support only prefix B
 11- as a side effect, routing and host use of prefix A will cease

The hard parts are "reconfigure all routers..." and determining the duration of the delay in step 9. The rest actually works reasonably well today, I should think.