Re: Fw: Welcome to the InterNAT...

2003-03-28 07:58:13
What is not
fixable is the fact that apps will break if you change an address out
from under them.

heck, TCP breaks if you change an address out from under it, so it's
hardly surprising that apps using TCP break under similar conditions.
the TCP/IP architecture simply was not designed to tolerate hosts
changing addresses.  and no, IPv6 doesn't fix this. actually it's very
difficult to fix at anything above layer 3.

This is a fact the app developers complaining about
the complexity of scoped addresses continually overlook.

I don't know where you get that idea.  I've been arguing against both
scoped addresses and limited-duration addresses.  It's just that there
has been more attention paid to scoped addresses later.  But absent
drastic changes in the architecture, it's not sufficient that addresses
have global scope, they need to be reasonably stable also.

The assertion is that all a network needs to do is change the
addresses in use when connecting. Never mind that every local use app
will break on every one of those events. That is not an acceptable
approach.

agreed.  But SL doesn't solve that problem, except in corner cases.
better to have a comprehensive solution, or simply to expect addresses
to be reasonably stable, than to impose SL.