RE: Thinking differently about the site local problem (was: RE: site local addresses (was Re: Fw: Welcome to the InterNAT...))

2003-04-02 08:23:03
Spencer Dawkins wrote:

Hi, Jeroen,

Are you talking about
ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc2732.txt (PS)?

My quick read of this RFC is that it says "don't use IPv6
literals without enclosing them in brackets", as in

      host          = hostname | IPv4address | IPv6reference
      ipv6reference = "[" IPv6address "]"

But that's not quite the same thing you said: "never use IPv6
IP's in URL's".

If you're talking about another reference, could you provide it?
A quick RFC search for "IPv6 URL" turned up only this RFC...

Yes, though I can't seem to google up any references. Except for:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/techinfo/administration/ipv6/defa
ult.asp

"Q: How can I force IPv6 connections using my Web browser?"
<SNIP>
"For applications other than Internet Explorer: Connect using a literal
IPv6 address. URLs that use the format for literal IPv6 addresses
described in RFC 2732, "Format for Literal IPv6 Addresses in URLs," are
not supported by the version of Internet Explorer provided with Windows
XP."

There was some discussion about this deprecation as the
Techpreviews (Win2k/NT4) did support literal url's.
The XP version and up though won't support it to overcome
one major 'problem': website 'designers' embedding IP's
inside websites to 'speed things up' (go figure).
And there where a number of other reasons for deciding so.
Unfortunatly I can't find the messages which where sent
to a mailinglist about this discussion which also contained
why they decided this. Note that wininet.dll doesn't support
it that's why IE doesn't either...

MS CC'd, they can best explain the rationale behind it.

Greets,
 Jeroen

PS: Is 'google' already an official english verb? :)