Re: STRN (was Re: Internet Draft Guidelines Require Precise Formatting?)

2003-04-18 16:59:58

On 18 Apr 2003 at 13:00, Alexey Melnikov pronounced thusly:

Hi all,

I at some point in the (near, hopefully) future wish to submit an
internet draft - STRN, ESMTP extension for secure client-server role
exchange

On a slightly different topic touched by your email: check ATRN
(authenticated TURN) extention before you decide to right STRN. I can try
to find the RFC number for it if you are interested.

If by some miraculous chance you should prove luckier than I. :-(  So far
M$ are the only folks I've seen implement ATRN, whatever the blasted thing
is.  I only came across it accidentally when my server communicated with
an Exchange server and it was listed in their ESMTP capabilities, and I
have not found an I-D or RFC.

Now may be a good time anyway to explain my ideas in brief... STRN does in
fact appear to have significant likeness to this ATRN, with the idea being
that STRN should provide a mechanism for specification of authentication
method by which a change of role can occur, after which the authentication
procedure is begun, independantly of, but not unlike, any other form of
ESMTP authentication used for mail delivery (RFC3554).  Secure doesn't
represent confidentiality in this context, it is simply meant as a more
solidly foolproof turn without disadvantages commonly presented by ETRN.
It may therefore end up as an updating RFC rather than a complete
specification.

Yes, if you do find the RFC please let me know where it is.

Cheers,
Alexey Melnikov

Cheers,
Sabahattin

- --

Thought for the day:
    Concerto (n): a fight between a piano and a pianist.

Latest PGP Public key?  Click:
<mailto:PGPPublicKey(_at_)sabahattin-gucukoglu(_dot_)com>
and send that message as is.

Sabahattin Gucukoglu
Phone: +44 (0)20 7,502-1615
Mobile: +44 (0)7986 053399
http://www.sabahattin-gucukoglu.com/
E-mail or MSN Messenger: <mail(_at_)Sabahattin-Gucukoglu(_dot_)com>