RE: Patents and IETF

2003-04-25 09:50:21

--On fredag, april 25, 2003 09:25:54 -0700 Tony Hain <alh-ietf(_at_)tndh(_dot_)net> wrote:

> I am a little confused because we have IETF standards (drafts and
> RFCs)for routing. Is there a rule which says that one cant file
> patents in routing or something?

No. And the lack of such a rule is not making life in the
IETF any easier.

Harald,

While that is correct, he probably needs a pointer to:
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2026.txt?number=2026

section 10.

actually what I was trying to say is that there is no rule in the patent system against patenting technology relevant to the IETF, and as a result, the IETF has to wade through an ever-deepening sea of patent-related issues when trying to make standards.

I guess my penchant for cute turns of phrase got the better of me :-)

                Harald