Re: site-local != NAT

2003-05-01 04:49:08

Hello Tony,

Your example is very interesting:

Tony Hain wrote:

I have not heard any compelling operational requirement for ambiguous addresses in IPv6.

According to the definition above, anycast is one such case. Given that
anycast is in daily operational use, there must be a requirement for
addresses to refer to different physical devices in different parts of
the network.
For anycast, the application would be satisfied no matter which of the
several physical devices would respond.  Maybe we can say that
addresses should only be ambiguous when it is known by definition
that the ambiguity can never affect the applications using the address.

Regards,
Charlie P.