Re: site-local != NAT

2003-05-01 14:46:40
[ Note to all:  can we please take all of these IPv6 threads off the main
IETF list?  Anyone interested can join the IPNG list ]

Thus spake <Valdis(_dot_)Kletnieks(_at_)vt(_dot_)edu>
Right - and the entire problem with "site local" addresses is that they
are almost by definition ambiguous if they ever escape.  The host
sending the opaque blob has no a priori way of knowing if the blob
will be in the *right* scope when you get there.

So if what we call a "site local" address is always unique, even between
sites, that would pacify you?

There is no inherent requirement that SL addresses be ambiguous, and there
are several drafts out there on how to ensure they're not.  "Site local"
just means the address is only _reachable_ from its local site.