Re: My thoughts on local-use addresses

2003-05-01 13:18:34
    > From: james woodyatt <jhw(_at_)wetware(_dot_)com>

    > I can assure you that the vast majority of those customers using the u
    > NAT in either of these products-- and I get a lot of customer feedback
    > .. -- are doing so for reasons that are far less technical than you
    > suggest.
    > They are *not* doing it because they "want identifiers for their
    > machines that are independent of their location in the connectivity
    > topology." They are doing it because they want to share their Internet
    > access with multiple computers.

Your take is not matched by what other people are saying, which is what I was
going on (but see below).

E.g. one person recently replied to a private message of mine (he can speak
for himself, if he wants), but the substance of what he said was that he
think that outside the US, almost everyone uses a NAT (not just homeowners
who want to hook up N computers when their always-on-ISP only gave them one
address), and he implied that addressing was a big issue (the example he gave
was of a university that didn't want to renumber again, after switching ISP's
once).

However, as the old aphorism goes, "the plural of anecdote is not data" - and
the situation may also have the usual statistics ("lies, damn lies, <etc>)
issues.

It may well be, for example, that the majority of NAT *boxes* sold go into
house applications where the intent is to share one address, but that a
relatively few very large NAT boxes (e.g. at companies) account for a larger
number of *users*.

I'd love to hear of some real data to sort this all out.

    > Have any of you looked at the actual marketing copy that sells real
    > people on why they might want to pay real money for a NAT box? It might
    > be instructive.

You really expect the marketing department to have clue? :-)

        Noel