Re: The utilitiy of IP is at stake here

2003-05-27 18:40:12

on 5/27/2003 6:59 PM Tony Hain wrote:

protocol design. We as the IETF need to step up and provide an alternate
design if we want the system to change. Some components of a new design
need to be a viable trust model, and irrefutable traceability.

Yes.

The IETF can't do social engineering, but can provide the framework for
others to do so. In that light, we simply need to get on with the task
at hand and create a replacement protocol.

Actually, and this was point of my early posts, the IETF or somebody who
is authorized to represent this unruly mob needs to interact with the
legislative bodies to tell them what we *CAN* do. The law has to be built
around the protocol work just as much as the protocol has to support the
machinations of the law.

As I also tried to demonstrate in the earlier messages, the coordination
can be very minor to start with, being little more than "250 means don't
send me illegal crap while 2XX means this other thing..."

Somebody has to perform this coordination. They don't have to embrace
policy or anything else.