Re: spam

2003-05-28 14:23:46
We are not going to agree.

Those who sincerely want to reduce spam are going to have to choose their
leadership: Those who brought them to technical and political failure, or
those who understand the issues that can be successfully promoted, as I
did as President of the League for Programming Freedom in the 90s.

If it is as I say, and the costs you assert are irrelevant, then you will
lose. If I am wrong, you really should have won in 1998.  No doubt the
1998 leaders think that.  No one has disputed that the costs of spam were
in fact higher in 1998 than they are now. Obviously, you had a stronger
case on the cost issue then, than now.  So, are you going to trust them
again?

Your procmailrc won't have any more effect on that issue now than it did
in 1998, after I was shouted down in 1997.  Same story, different day.
If people are so foolish as to follow Vixie and his crew again, same
result.  We will see.

Shannon's Theorem isn't a popularity contest. It is either applies to
spam, or it doesn't. True or false.  If true, it means your protocol
efforts are a waste of time.  It isn't going to go away, despite your
procmailrc.

If it is false, then I have to wonder why SMTP AUTH didn't have any effect
on spam.  Perhaps, like I alluded, the authors lost focus. I suppose that
could be the case.  Time will reveal the truth of that as well.

But no one has offered any explanation of why Shannon's Theorem doesn't
apply. They have just arm waved that it could be related to Godel's work
on Set Theory. I suppose just about any computer or information science
theorem must be "a relative of Godel's work on Set Theory". This doesn't
prove it is either wrong, or doesn't apply to the development of a
spam-free protocol. (The very name spam-free protocol sounds ridiculous).

Unless someone has something new to say, I don't see anything else to say.
People will have to decide for themselves, and take the appropriate
personal action: Start work on a "spam-free protocol", or contact me
off-list to work on productive anti-spam lobbying and start working with
the IETF to prevent standarization of gratuitous protocol changes.

                --Dean