Re: The utilitiy of IP is at stake here

2003-05-29 17:28:12

on 5/29/2003 5:59 PM David Morris wrote:

The slower process will be the millions of smaller mail infrastructures,

Yes, small business are the biggest hurdle in the deployment cycle.

Fortunately, I think that most of them probably use their ISP's mail
services, so its not quite like we have to convince every office in every
stripmall to upgrade.

As long as the new protocols provide a migration plan and support,
upgrade over a year or two is a reasonable expectation.

Yes. And its also reasonable that after ~80% switch, sites can start to
disable the legacy compatibility mode. Note that many of them will still
need it for things like printservers and other devices, but for general
Internet communications it should be a little easier since most of the
changeover can happen just by getting most of the ISPs to switch.

The really hard question isn't the upgrade, its how to limit pollution
from legacy MTAs during the upgrade. If spam is still running high during
the transition, then people will wonder why they bothered.