Re: The utilitiy of IP is at stake here

2003-05-30 11:57:44
At 10:40 AM -0700 5/30/03, Peter Deutsch wrote:
Paul Hoffman / IMC wrote:
 So far on this thread, we have heard from none of the "large-scale
 mail carriers", although we have heard that the spam problem is
 costing them millions of dollars a year. That should be a clue to the
 IETF list. If there is a problem that is affecting a company to the
 tune of millions of dollars a year, and that company thinks that the
 problem could be solved, they would spend that much money to solve
 it. Please note that they aren't.

Well, perhaps it's more accurate to say "if they thought it could be
solved by working with all those nice and entusiastic folks on the IETF
general discussion list"... ;-)

We disagree here. For the millions of dollars that they are losing, they would come up with the solution with the IETF or not. They haven't.

 > I have spoken to some of these heavily-affected companies (instead of
 just hypothesizing about them). Their answers were all the same: they
 don't believe the problem is solvable for the amount of money that
 they are losing. They would love to solve the spam problem: not only
 would doing so save them money, it would get them new income. Some
 estimate this potential income to be hundreds of millions of dollars
 a year, much more than they are losing on spam. But they believe that
 the overhead of the needed trust system, and the cost of losing mail
 that didn't go through the trust system, is simply too high.

 You might disagree with them, and based on that disagreement you
 might write a protocol. But don't do so saying "the big carriers will
 want this" without much more concrete evidence as to their desires.

Paul, are you aware of any concrete numbers here?

Yes.

 I've looked through
the IMC site, but the only references to cost seem to be in a report
from the late 90's, with no hard data. If not, this might be something
the IMC could consider pulling together? I'd agree that there's way too
much hand-waving going on here on this point...

All my discussions were not for attribution. Large mail carriers don't want their competitors to know how many users they actually have (as compared to the highly inflated numbers that various analysts say they have), and they certainly don't want their competitors knowing how much they are spending on dealing with spam. "Our company spends more per user on fighting spam than OtherBigCarrier!"

In aggregate, then numbers were in the tens of millions of dollars US, and that was more than two years ago. I would be shocked if the numbers were much lower now, given the greatly increasing amount of spam and the level-or-increasing number of customers.

Again, the summary is that these folks are hurting badly enough to throw highly-qualified full-time staff on the problem, and they don't believe any of the solutions that have been presented so far will save them enough money. If they thought differently, they would have deployed them by now so that they could save those millions of dollars.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium