Re: The utilitiy of IP is at stake here

2003-05-30 18:40:38
Tony writes:

100M users * 1/30hr = 3.3M hours   ; and that
happens every day.

Each day contains 100M x 24 = 2400 M hours.  3.3 M hours is thus 1/8 of 1
percent.

I have to adjust my filters at least once a month
to keep the volume down.

I just delete most of it by hand.  It's easy enough to recognize.

There is also a tendancy to overlook the effects
of real scale.

I see only speculation and exaggeration with respect to the cost of spam.
It's very annoying, but it's not very expensive.

Clearly you have never heard of the devices designed
to block commercials ...

I've heard of them, but they are not widely used.  Nor is anyone complaining
about advertising in magazines or newspapers, although often a large part of
both is taken up by it.