RE: The utilitiy of IP is at stake here

2003-05-31 15:03:57

On Sat, 31 May 2003, Tomson Eric (Yahoo.fr) wrote:

How will the spammer's find her address?

Guessing and trying?

Online directory provided by her email provider?

Not understanding risks, she joins a seniors mail list?

Someone she corresponds with blasts an email to a bunch of
folks leaving all addresses exposed, and one of the
addressees does some action which exposes the email to a
spammer's harvesting process?

Or more explicitly, someone she knows copies her in a post to
a mailing list which is being harvested.

More I'm sure. The AOL address my wife uses was never used for
anything but family oriented email and never part of a list which
was posted to from that address. Yet she receives an inordinate amount of
filthy and body alteration spam. Since this is a very old AOL address and
was simply based on name and initials, I suspect one of the first two
approaches I listed above.

The point being that it isn't difficult to end up in the spammer's email
address lists.

Dave Morris