Stray question, (a little bit) (What's the best practice on this?)

2003-06-04 11:42:10
Hi,

A little off the center of the road, but that's nothing new here.

As users tend to use HTTP email accounts; (for privacy, flirting, whatever)
in enterprises this makes it hard to snag viruses to some extent.

If the preferred solution in some server farm of linux and NT's.... whatever
is snagging virus attachments at SNMP and/or POP3 interfaces, this is great
and can work really well.

But on the HTTP side (even worse? https), all sorts of GETs and PUTs can
move items to and from on 80. To Java apps... whatever. Like attachments
carried by hotmail and Yahoo, etc.

Trying to tackle people in the hall and tell them what to do or not do just
doesn't work, for one thing. You can't or don't want to generally encoumber
abstract use of http and/or port 80. And, programs scanning the file system
are very robust / reliable for a host of reasons.

Any option on that? In tribute to the main purpose of this list: This is a
problem which might have a protocol solution of sorts. I'm not use I like
it, but seemingly the trasports could maim attachments by altering there
MIME type. Bad way to solve a problem is to make somebody elses
program/process crash though!

Regs to all,
Dan