Re: discussion redirect

2003-06-05 06:42:23
I've setup a temporary mailing list to handle discussion of an
alternate mail transfer system, which I expect will get replaced by a
real list eventually, assuming that interest continues to progress. To
subscribe to that list, send an email message to
mt2-subscribe(_at_)ehsco(_dot_)com

I've also put together a basic outline proposal that shows what I'd
like to see in such a service. http://www.ehsco.com/misc/mt2/ has that
proposal(if it doesn't display right, you can download the original
powerpoint slides from http://www.ehsco.com/misc/mt2/MT2-00.ppt). I
know that Keith was scratching some ideas together for reusing SMTP
and I'll post that if he wants.

I'm not going to join this list, because (a) it's almost certain to be
populated by naive crackpots, (b) we already have a perfectly good
public list to discuss solutions to the spam problem in ASRG, and (c)
I'm convinced that trying to solve the spam problem by re-inventing SMTP
is at best a useless distraction, and at worst a distraction that will
prevent real solutions from emerging.

Of course if the list distracts all of the crackpots, *that* might be
useful.