Re: IETF Standards Process

2003-06-05 12:16:10

--On onsdag, juni 04, 2003 11:54:03 -0400 Dean Anderson <dean(_at_)av8(_dot_)com> wrote:

inline. I apologize in advance for so many questions. I have looked on the
ISOC site, and IAB site, and other pages to find the answers to these
questions.

since most of your questions can easily be answered "no", I don't see the point of going into details.

The "Obsoletes:" header is a protocol that is too weak to carry the full semantics of the relationship between documents.

Proposed Standards are being used in the real world, for reasons that the users of those standards find sufficient.

RFCs are never changed.

ISOC's code of conduct bullet 4 says:

Avoid deploying technologies that defeat generally accepted technical principles of the Internet, as documented primarily by the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF). In particular, avoid technologies that tend to subdivide access to the Internet rather than preserving its universal, unique, and international nature, except as required by security
mechanisms >mentioned in the next paragraph

It is our fervent hope that we do not publish Proposed Standards that defeat generally accepted technical principles of the Internet.

                    Harald