Re: Certificate / CPS issues

2003-06-06 21:56:41
You cannot get trademark protection for anything "functional".  To the
extent that the Habeus magic words are used functionally, I do not think
they are eligible for trademark protection.

Ditto copyright: "Works that may not be protectable by copyright include:
.... short phrases and slogans, familiar symbols or designs, and other
works lacking sufficient creativity or independent effort; designs of
useful articles or products where the designs are not conceptually
separable from the functional aspects of the article or product; works
consisting only of information that is in the public domain; and blank
forms and other works which are designed for recording information and
which do not in themselves convey information."

(source: American Law Institute - American Bar Association Continuing
Legal Education April 10-11, 2003 Trademarks, Copyrights, and Unfair
Competition for the General Practitioner and the Corporate Counsel COURSE
OVERVIEW Ronald L. Panitch SH085 ALI-ABA 361)

Functional things are eligible to be patented.

Thus, I have grave doubts as to the strength of this footing under IP law.
There might be alternate legal theories that would work a little
better....

I could go into considerably greater detail as to why, and also as to what
the counter-argument might look like, but I'd have to charge you...