Send the problem not to ICANN but to ... (Was: Re: Engineering to deal with the social problem of spam)

2003-06-08 09:04:56
On Sat, 7 Jun 2003, at 18:51 [=GMT-0400], vinton g. cerf wrote:

[When I wrote: Send the problem to ICANN.]

this is NOT an ICANN problem - ICANN has no jurisdiction at the
email level.

vint cerf
chairman, ICANN

I was joking of course. A bad joke. Sorry.

"ICANN has no jurisdiction at the email level". Indeed. But who has?
So here is a serious idea, not involving the UN, but some effective
social engineering: Send the problem to Microsoft. Why?

Because a solution against spam I see is a combination of working
reverse DNS (also for dial in connections through DHCP and dynamic
DNS) and turning OutLook into a combined MUA/MTA with blacklist (of IP
numbers) and whitelist (of valid hostnames on the user level)
features. I call this new OutLook: OutPeer, since (most) mail will go
peer-to-peer in my scheme.

I have more to say about this. And since it is not about standards (no
new ones required, I think), and also likely stupid, I will not do it
here. I have put it up at

http://www.outpeer.com/

I appreciate comments to marc(_at_)schneiders(_dot_)org(_dot_)

--
[03] I thank you for your time and interest.
http://logoff.org/