Re: Engineering to deal with the social problem of spam

2003-06-11 15:44:52

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 Valdis(_dot_)Kletnieks(_at_)vt(_dot_)edu wrote:

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 10:08:15 PDT, james woodyatt <jhw(_at_)wetware(_dot_)com>
 said:
And as for those too poor to keep their CPU's current, Let Them Eat
SMTP.  They clearly have an unhealthy interest in paying to receive
MAKE MONEY FAST spam, so we should encourage them to continue using
SMTP anyway.  The Internet interprets censorship as damage and routes
around it.  Let SMTP continue to serve the useful function it serves:
carrying spam messages.

Ahem.

I have several million dollars of compute resources at my disposal.
It will take a fairly large hashcash request to make it painful for
me.

Then you obviously have too much compute power for the number of users
that you have.

If you get more users, the compute power to implement hashcash increases.
Hashcash just makes you more vulneralble to a DOS attack, and does nothing
to deter spam. Spammers will still send something that is cheaper than a
postcard.

If you make email cost more than a postcard, _that_ will kill email.
Nothing else will.

There is junk fax - and the Berlin Wall was brought down by fax machines.

Let's not get this wrong.

Let's not forget that it was UUCP and not the internet that foiled the
coup that imprisoned Gorbachev for 3 days.

                --Dean