Re: myth of the great transition (was US Defense Department forma lly adopts IPv6)

2003-06-18 16:58:24
Keith Moore <moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu> writes:

In my experience, IT managers are generally pretty unhappy changing
anything to support their users.  People who actually use the
computers or the network are regarded as a nuisance.

Exactly. So, why do you it's NATs that are the cause of users
not getting the things they want, as opposed to the usual IT
manager behavior.

good point.  maybe the very reason that IT managers like NATs is that
they make the users' lives more difficult, and they provide job security
for IT managers who have to sort out NAT problems just so that things
can work at all.  but from the ones I've talked to, some combination of
ignorance, brainwashing, and stupidity seems more likely.

One of the things I've always find endearing about IETFers is their
utter confidence that whenever the world disagrees with them about the
value of some technical approach, it must be because everyone else in
the world is stupid.

-Ekr

--
[Eric Rescorla                                   ekr(_at_)rtfm(_dot_)com]
           Web Log: http://www.rtfm.com/movabletype