Re: myth of the great transition (was US Defense Department forma lly adopts IPv6)

2003-06-18 23:43:30
Eric,

With due respects, there is a flaw in your thinking. Many ISPs give users NATed
adresses, without users really knowing or understanding what they are.  When
the users try applications or serves which fail because of the
non-transparency, the users may not know the cause of the failures.
I had some VPN software that fails due to NATs in hotels, for example. Support
people told me that the hotel used NATs for security - I sent a log showing all
of the probes my macine had from inside the network.
My main point is that users & providers are often confused about NATs.
John

What applications that people want to run--and the IT managers would
want to enable--are actually inhibited by NAT? It seems to me that
most of the applications inconvenienced by NAT are ones that IT
managers would want to screen off anyway.