RE: primary purpose of firewalls

2003-06-21 19:58:23
Michael Richardson wrote:
but firewall vendors have screwed that up so badly, that
this is now better done by dedicated IDS.

I don't pretend to be a firewall expert but the IDS I use (and pasted
examples of earlier) is built-in the firewall and works for my needs. I
don't care much about an IDS that generates 100 alarms per second, the
reason being I have not enough qualified staff to analyze 100 IDS alarms
per second. IDS systems that generate tons of alarms are primarily a
means of selling an IDS system to the unsuspecting decision maker that
does not know jack about them.

Michel.