Re: Multicast Last Mile BOF report

2003-07-16 07:32:14
] >> and 500 gadgets do not make a technology adopted when it has no
] >> business model folk can understand.
] > one business model that might be understandable is: you should support
] > multicast if/when it saves you enough bandwidth (over the same content
] > being sent over separate unicast streams) to make it worth your cost.
]
] if i needed to save bandwidth, which is not demonstrated as i sell it
] </sarcasm>,

if your customers pay flat rate and you can deliver them the same or better
service at less cost to you, isn't this at least some incentive?
(perhaps not enough to overcome your costs?)

if your customers pay per megabyte and they can get better service at
less cost by using multicast, isn't this also an incentive of a different
sort?

] that there is no content my customers want means i will add
] capex and opex to save no bandwidth.

indeed, lack of content is a problem.  multicast won't fly unless/until
there is content available through it that lots of people want to get.
IETF meetings are great for me but they have a limited audience overall.