Re: Multicast Last Mile BOF report

2003-07-16 07:32:29
Keith Moore wrote:

maybe the ISPs supporting multicast could prioritize that traffic, thus providing better service on multicast than unicast, thus providing an
incentive for receivers to use multicast over unicast.
This would provide an incentive to game the system and use multicast even if you had only one receiver.

Isn't the real problem the fact that the set of streams that people might receive is so diverse, most links won't be carrying more than one copy of the unicast stream anyway? Multicast would help only at the sender's end, in the case of flash crowds; and the sender's ISP has no incentive to shrink the size of the bitpipe the sender needs to buy.

--
|John Stracke      |jstracke(_at_)centive(_dot_)com                       |