Re: re the plenary discussion on partial checksums

2003-07-17 01:34:13
How would an app know to set this bit? The problem is that different L2s will have different likelihoods of corruption; you may decide that it's safe to set the bit on Ethernet, but not on 802.11*.

Aah, there's the confusion. The apps we have in mind would think that it is pointless (but harmless) to set the bit on Ethernet, but would be quite interested in setting it on 802.11*.

This is not "is my data safe even if I give up some L2 error detection", this is "L2 error detection destroys data that I could salvage". Don't think "NFS on bad Ethernet cards" (yes, I'm old enough to have been hit by this, too!), think "conversational media data on wireless links that give you 35 % more bandwidth if you give up some error protection" (35 % was Pekka Pessi's figure on the plenary jabber, IIRC).

Gruesse, Carsten

*) e.g., in order to salvage half of a video packet that got an error in the middle. (Reducing packet sizes to achieve a similar effect is highly counterproductive on media with a very high per-packet overhead such as 802.11.) Of course, 802.11 has retransmissions, so maybe this is a bad example, but it does illustrate the point.