Re: re the plenary discussion on partial checksums

2003-07-17 11:37:24
Jonathan Hogg wrote:

On 17/7/03 8:30, bill wrote:
I would have a hard time taking an IP header bit and making it the "Do
not drop this packet in the presense of a bit error somewhere in the
frame from layer 2 - layer 3".  Don't think it is a good idea.
What if that bit got corrupted?
This is a good point. If an L2 error can make a normal "discard on errors" packet come through marked as "tolerate errors", then implementing this feature can introduce errors in existing applications.

--
|John Stracke      |jstracke(_at_)centive(_dot_)com                   |