Re: Korean cell phones

2003-08-16 11:37:18
- GSM is very limited, if at all existent (I found one network listed
as
  "planned for Sept  2003")

I was in Seoul a few weeks ago and my tri-band GSM handset couldn't
find any network. There may be GSM coverage somewhere, but it certainly
doesn't make itself easy to find.

- Some providers appear to offer roaming using your GSM SIM card in a
  Korean CDMA handset (unless I got that all wrong)

There are some details here:

   http://www.ktfroaming.com/

KT seem to have a large pile of agreements in place with GSM operators.
Microcell send me a flyer not long ago which said that you could rent a
CDMA handset at the airport suitable for use with one of their SIMs for
$1.50 per day (Canadian dollars).

you may want to check out

    <http://www.sktelecom.com/eng/services/ir_roaming.html>

randy