RE: AW: www.ietf.org.

2003-08-25 11:12:07
Randy Bush wrote:
v6 has one salient feature, more address space.  religious
selling does not help the case for v6.

I don't think making a server accessable over IPv6 is religious selling.
Some might even consider it 'running code', ... or don't we believe in that
anymore?

make it work simply
and directly, not through 42 hacks.  get router, dsl, ...
vendors to support it. then it will be used.

Therein lies the problem. Unless a critical mass is using IPv6, there is
little incentive for router & dsl vendors to build it. Even when they do,
service providers are slow if not reluctant to turn it on. As much as you
don't like them, some of the 42 hacks are required to establish that
critical mass. We don't need all of them everywhere, but each has its own
warts. Different warts are acceptable or not in different environments. We
need to provide a reasonably small set of mechanisms, with documented warts,
so that the critical mass can pull the SP's (who in turn pull the product
vendors) into the simple deployment you are asking for.

Bottom line, the end user doesn't know or care about IP or any version
issues. They type names, or click on links, and magic happens. It is our job
to make that magic happen in more places, and as transparently as possible.

Tony