Re: FW: Virus alert

2003-09-01 20:35:57
On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 Valdis(_dot_)Kletnieks(_at_)vt(_dot_)edu wrote:

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 00:00:45 EDT, shogunx said:
On Sat, 30 Aug 2003, Dean Anderson wrote:

Open source kernels aren't immune. They just aren't at focus this time.

If a worm is executing visual basic code, then i think i am pretty darn
immune.

Google for the Lion worm, and quit smirking.  Like he said, the gun isn't
pointed at you THIS time.

I remember that one.  Nasty too.  From this assessment:

http://www.sans.org/y2k/lion.htm

it appears that keeping your daemons up to date, proper packet filtering
and competent sysadmining as preventative measures would stop it cold in
its tracks.  I see your point though.  No smirking happening here, just
appreciation for then open-source community as a whole, and the choices
that led me to being in a situation where my networks are unaffected by
this particular bit of malicious code.

Enjoy,
Scott

sleekfreak pirate broadcast