Re: the VoIP Paradox

2003-09-04 08:10:02
Once the power goes out, the base station gets disconnected, you would have call back at least. The handset is also already battery powered, so it doesn't really need the external power, just the ability to take the line directly. It would be nice if the base station could keep alive via 2500 power, but I am afraid the wireless signal requires too much power. Maybe just a backup battery built into the base station would keep it alive for a brief power outage.
This way you get to keep the mobile functionality of the wireless phone.

Personally I would be more interested in a cellular phone that would hop to a private home network signal. Once you get home (or within a 1/2 mile or so) you the cell phone becomes an extension in your house. Would be even nicer if the line went out, and the phone company could automatically re-route your home line to your cell phone.

Regards,
Gregory Cunningham