Re: POP3 delivers, not deletes

2003-09-08 09:36:42

--On Monday, September 08, 2003 09:18 -0400 Dan Kolis
<dank(_at_)hq(_dot_)lindsayelec(_dot_)com> wrote:

Although it is theoretically possible, using POP (rather than
IMAP)  to leave the mail on the server until you pull it
again with POP,  many servers appear to clear out the mail
after POPing it.

The Client program users LIST and RETR to get the messages
than DELE to remove them. The server/cloud program(s) don't do
that. If you/anyone want to leave mesage a\on a POP3 MTA,
selecting a client program (or writing one) to not DELEte them
at your discression is potenetially useful. regs,
Dan

Dan,

I am pretty sure Vint knows what the protocol says.  So,
certainly, do I.

In the real world, several ISPs have insisted that their servers
provide an implicit DELE after messages have been successfully
downloaded and the connection closed.  If leaving the mail on
the server (not DELEting them until you tell it to) is
important, you could, of course, choose an ISP that doesn't do
that automatic/ implicit delete.  But, because there are ISPs
that do the automatic delete, Shelby's claim (as I understand
it) that his system will work with any POP3 mailbox and server
is not quite correct.

     john