Re: POP3 prograsm that enforce old message policies

2003-09-08 10:25:53

--On Monday, September 08, 2003 13:08 -0400 Dan Kolis
<dank(_at_)hq(_dot_)lindsayelec(_dot_)com> wrote:

John K said:
I am pretty sure Vint knows what the protocol says.  So,
certainly, do I.
In the real world, several ISPs have insisted that their
servers provide an implicit DELE after messages have been
successfully downloaded and the connection closed.  If
leaving the mail on the server (not DELEting them until you
tell it to) is important, you could, of course, choose an ISP
that doesn't do that automatic/ implicit delete.  But,
because there are ISPs that do the automatic delete, Shelby's
claim (as I understand it) that his system will work with any
POP3 mailbox and server is not quite correct.
    john

Dan says:
Another way to do this is via EHLO and then your client would
have to subscribe to the "feature" of some timed self delete
or you would be denied access totally. This would make sure
the user is given a heads up on the whole thing.

EHLO?  On POP3???

This would be super clean. Your program (in your national
language) warns you the server is going to enforce some
message removal method.

With the excellent thinking in the development of these... I'm
surprised that's not how it works.

One could certainly design a more extensive capabilities
mechanism for POP3, but that raises some other issues?

    john