Re: Spammers using IETF meeting attendance lists

2003-09-09 11:08:13
On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 11:06:54 MDT, Jim Sermersheim <jimse(_at_)novell(_dot_)com>
 said:

It means that at least one person that processed the registrations
was using a windows system that is now infected. That stupid
blaster virus then sent email with a forged From line as if it was
sent from you, then the spammers picked up that never released email
address and added it to their spam list.

Makes me wonder if the virus was build by someone wanting to find
a lot of valid email addresses that were not otherwise available.

I pondered that myself, except for the problem that you need some way to
*catch* the addresses when they get sent out - although I've seen some coming
in from obvious "spammer" addresses and therefore my address is probably
being sent to spammers.  Since we already know that the spammers don't
particularly care that 98% of their stuff gets blocked, it probably doesn't
bother them that 98% of the time the "good address" is going to somebody other
than the spammer.  That 2% is enough to enhance their lists....