Re: POP3 extensions - thanks

2003-09-09 11:56:27
Joel Jaeggli <joelja(_at_)darkwing(_dot_)uoregon(_dot_)edu> writes:

It's just sitting in the users mail spool... pop3 is just a tool for
mua's without filesystem access to get access to the mail in the
spool... if you want to do stuff to mail before you deliver it to the
user, you do that in the mta, after, the mua.

This mostly isn't the way that large mail systems work any more.  For
example, at Stanford, we use Cyrus IMAP as our mail system (which also
provides a POP interface).  It stores mail in an internal database that
cannot be accessed easily through the file system no matter what access
you have or mail client you use; the mail is available only via POP or
IMAP.  It is therefore entirely possible to do things to the mail in the
Cyrus IMAP servers if one really wanted to (and in fact there's a standard
for doing filtering in the server).

--
Russ Allbery (rra(_at_)stanford(_dot_)edu)
<http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>