Re: Stupid DNS tricks

2003-09-15 23:37:03
Adam Roach;

Because this is probably a community of interest for the
topic of DNS, I thought it would be worthwhile mentioning
that Verisign has apparently unilaterally put in place
wildcard DNS records for *.com and *.net. All unregistered
domains in .com and .net now resolve to 64.94.110.11, which
runs a Verisign-operated web search engine on port 80.

A very interesting stupidity.

However, as I checked whois database of verisign for "*.com" and
"*.net", the answers are negative

        No match for "*.COM".

        No match for "*.NET".

that, according to verysign, they are not registered domain names.

So, I tried to get the names by myself, for obvious reasons :-),
through www.verisign.com. :-) But, my request was denied as

        Please use only letters, numbers or dashes [-]. Do not
        enter spaces, periods [.] or other punctuation.

that they are, according to verisign, not domain names open for
registration.

So, the remaining question is whether the stupidity is interesting
enough to make verisign not to be qualified to be a gtld registry
anymore or not.

                                                Masataka Ohta