Re: IETF Storage Solution

2003-10-06 09:47:45
I've noticed that the diet commonly preferred by trolls includes made-up
jargon, insults, and paradoxes.  Responding with reason or legitimate
information leaves them craving more.

-Dave

On Monday, 06 Oct 2003, Valdis(_dot_)Kletnieks(_at_)vt(_dot_)edu wrote:
On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 03:47:16 PDT, you said:

Ha Gotcha! Your knowledge of computers is wanting.  Magnetic harddisks can
be
scanned with laser for surface patterns arrangements,  I think your attacks
on
me are least professional.

OK. Perhaps they *can* be scanned with lasers.  However, as far as I can tell,
most companies actually recovering data from magnetic media are using some
variant on a magnetic sensor, not a laser.

http://www.boulder.nist.gov/div816/2001/MagneticRecordingMeasurements/

See the section "New Technique for Recovering Data":

"Termed "second-harmonic magnetoresistive microscopy" (SH-MRM), this technique
makes use of high-resolution magnetic sensors developed for modern computer
hard-disk drives."

So as of 2 years ago, the research in the field was still using magnetic based
techniques, and of course the companies doing it for a living will be lagging
somewhat behind that.

Perhaps your confusion is based on a misunderstanding of the process:

http://www.usbyte.com/common/AFM_storage.htm

Yes, a small laser is used - to measure the deflection of a sensor by a
magnetic field.

And I'm sorry that you find it unprofessional to be asked what your postings
have of interest *TO THE IETF*.  The 'I' stands for 'Internet'. Not nuclear
weapon, not nanotech, not disk storage, but *INTERNET*.  Unless you can show
how nuclear weapons, nanotech, disk storage, or whatever your next missive is
about is related *TO THE INTERNET*, it's off-topic for *THIS* list.

--
David Frascone

                  Plan to be more spontaneous.