[Fwd: [Asrg] 0. General - Verisign has suspended SiteFinder (fwd)]

2003-10-07 13:06:01
Below is an official notice from Verisign on when exactly
SiteFinder will be shut off (from the NANOG list). As of now, it appears
to have been killed.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [Asrg] 0. General - Verisign has suspended SiteFinder (fwd)
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2003 21:26:59 -0400
From: Yakov Shafranovich <research(_at_)solidmatrix(_dot_)com>
To: ASRG list <asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>

Below is the relevant list message from the NANOG mailing list:

Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 17:50:02 -0400
From: Matt Larson [address]
To: nanog(_at_)nanog(_dot_)org
Subject: Removal of wildcard A records from .com and .net zones

VeriSign was directed by ICANN to suspend the Site Finder service by 0100 UTC on Sunday, October 5. We requested an extension from ICANN to give more notice to the community but were denied. We will be removing the wildcard A records from the .com and .net zones beginning at 2300 UTC on Saturday, October 4. The former behavior for these zones (returning Name Error/RCODE=3 in response to queries for nonexistent domain names) will be in place by 0100 UTC on Sunday, October.
Matt
--
Matt Larson [address]
VeriSign Naming and Directory Services