Re: [idn] Re: FYI: BOF on Internationalized Email Addresses (IEA)

2003-10-28 01:57:17
- good start!
- timeline seems pretty agressive... will see.
- would probably good to have a requirement document upfront. Might not the
same way that idn requirement ends up, but a narrow-implementable
requirement would help to have a concensus (hopefully) on what needs to be
done.
- while the idn req went not that good, now that we have experience, I
think we should try to be better and have one.

I know I might start some debate with this, but still think it is the best
way to go...

- would be useful to have some reference to idn (idna) in the charter, as
background work. the developers and users will have to take care of "both"
(ie. idn and imail) in the email infrastructure.

Marc.

-- Monday, October 27, 2003 16:19:25 -0800 Dave Crocker
<dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net>
wrote/a ecrit:

Folks,

On the theory that discussions go better when they have a concrete
deliverable, here is a proposed charter for a proposed working group.

The following started with Mark Crispin's text, although it might not
look it. Besides the usual goals for a charter, the following text
attempts to specify the problem domain in the narrowest feasible form
that is valid. If anyone thinks the scope is too narrow, they need to
explain why.

DRAFT CHARTER

Mail Internationalised Local-Part (MILP)
---------------------------------

The <local-part> portion of RFC2822 and <Local-part> portion of RFC2821
mail addresses are restricted to a subset of ASCII. This poses a
fundamental barrier for users needing mail addresses to be expressed in a
richer set of characters, such as Latin characters with diacriticals and
the many Asian characters. The goal of the current work is to add
local-part support for these additional characters, while preserving the
large, installed base of ASCII usage.

The group will take:

   draft-hoffman-imaa-03.txt
   draft-klensin-emailaddr-i18n-01.txt
   draft-duerst-iri-04.txt

as input to discussions.

The group will pay particular attention to barriers to adoption and
utility, as well as any impact the new scheme might have on the existing
base of Internet mail usage.

Milestones
----------

Nov, 03:  BOF

Dec, 03:  WG chartered

Feb, 03:  Initial draft of working group specifications.

Jun, 03:  Specifications submitted for IETF approval

d/
--
 Dave Crocker <dcrocker-at-brandenburg-dot-com>
 Brandenburg InternetWorking <www.brandenburg.com>

Marc Blanchet
Hexago
tel: +1-418-266-5533x225