The AODV Experiment at the IETF

2003-11-11 11:44:10

The IETF wireless network is now relatively stable so we are going to
turn on the AODV(_at_)IETF test network.  We'll monitor it over lunch and
make sure it doesn't interfere with the rest of the wireless
infrastructure.

If anyone notices any abnormal degredation of performance, let us know.

Here is the original email with information about the effort:

       Mobile ad hoc networks have typically been deployed on a small
scale in restricted environments. The AODV(_at_)IETF project aims to make
available the first ever publicly-usable ad hoc network at the 58th IETF
conference to be held in Minneapolis, MN, USA from November 9-14.

Our goals behind the project are to demonstrate the capabilities of ad
hoc networks to the general public and also to evaluate the performance
of ad hoc networks when used on a large-scale in the real world.  The
AODV(_at_)IETF network will support Internet capable AODV implementations for
the Microsoft Windows XP and Linux operating systems.

IF NOT INTERESTED
-----------------
Pretty simple:  the AODV network SSID is "aodv" and is seperate from the
IETF wireless network with the SSID "ietf58".  To not use "aodv" simply
don't set your SSID to "aodv".  :-)

Note:  Windows XP might try to join if you have it automatically
configured to find a wireless network.  To prevent Windows XP from even
trying, choose the "Access Point (infrastructure) networks only" option,
which is available by clicking on "Wireless Properties", then selecting
the "Wireless Networks" tab and then clicking on "Advanced".

IF INTERESTED
-------------
We welcome and encourage your participation in the ad hoc network at
the IETF.  Please visit the AODV(_at_)IETF website:
   http://moment.cs.ucsb.edu/aodv-ietf
for more details and to download the software needed.

Our help desk is located on the 3rd floor near the Duluth room. We will be
present at the help desk when the IETF sessions are in progress. If you
need any help using the AODV network or experience connectivity issues
when on the IETF network because of AODV, please come to our help desk.

If you have any other questions, please contact
krishna(_at_)cs(_dot_)ucsb(_dot_)edu