Re: IETF 58 - Network Status - 11/11/03 - 10:45AM Local Time

2003-11-11 19:45:53
On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 11:48:00 -0500 Brett Thorson
<bthorson(_at_)foretec(_dot_)com> wrote:

We have made some changes to the network and access points. The reports that
we are hearing is that the network has improved.  We are always interested in
your field reports.

Yes, I can confirm that stability has improved today.

We are still getting reports of people getting pulled over to machines
running
the IETF58 SSID in ad-hoc mode.  Please make sure you are not running in
AD-HOC mode.

Setting the SSID explicitly to ietf58 helped a little bit, however,
I can't do anything right now about those guys running in ad-hoc with
ssid ietf58: my Orinoco card under Linux simply attaches to the machine
running ad-hoc mode.

To use the IETF wireless network exclusively on Windows XP, please choose the
"Access Point (infrastructure) networks only" option, which is available by
clicking on "Wireless Properties", then selecting the "Wireless Networks" tab
and then clicking on "Advanced". (K. Almeroth)

AFAIK it's the firmware that decides about performing a handover to other APs.
It would be interesting whether some experts can give me a clue, how the XP
driver
instructs the firmware to disable attachment to cards in ad-hoc mode. The author
of the Orinoco Linux driver would be happy to add this feature to Linux, too.

If you do detect machines in AD-HOC mode or machines that are rooted and
being
bad net citizens, please provide us with with as much information as you can
(Including MAC Address), and we may look into take some kind of corrective
action.

Special thanks to our kind NetOps volunteers K. O'Donoghue and C. Elliott for
the tremendous effort they put forward to tune the wireless.  If you see them
in the hallways and byways, please be sure to thank them.  Also, the all
Volunteer NetOps crew is wearing Green Dots on their name tag.  If you see
any of them, please be sure to thank them for coming to the IETF and
volunteering their services to provide this meeting with a network.

Thanks to you all, you're doing a great job (esp. that penalty box thing sounds
cool)!!!

Roland